View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 04:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
JohnsZ
Enthusiast Member

Drives: '09 370Z Tour CY M6
JohnsZ will become famous soon enoughJohnsZ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeryansta View Post
Hey all! I'm a beginner runner and would like to get some advise from some of you more experienced guys out there.

I just got done running 10 miles in 89 minutes and man.... I don't know how you marathon runners do it. I went through a whole bottle of powerade while doing this.

Any advice from you runners out there on how to get more energy? My legs were giving out on me.

Congrats on taking up the sport! Long distance running is definately not for everyone for a myriad of reasons but for those that do successfully take up the sport, running is extremely rewarding. This is a sport where the saying "you only get out what you put in" is very true. I spent over 25 years of my life running, starting at around the age of 28 and gradually stopping at 55. In that time, I logged over 23,000 miles (I kept a diary of all my runs) and ran 4 marathons including well over 50 other races anywhere between 4 miles and the marathon distance. There is so much advice I could give but I will generally say this; start slow with short distances and work your way up, run regularly even if it's only a short run, stretch before and after, eat well, and get enough sleep. Rule of thumb for running....if you can't hold a conversation while running, your going too fast. Good shoes are a must but the right ones for your particular feet and gait are vital. A Running Store is the best place to buy running shoes. Run races as they are motivating and an incentive to keep at it and run with others or join a running club. To answer your question about energy, you will fiind that your energy level will quickly improve with a consistent running regimen. If you only run a couple of days per week or just on the weekends, you will get frustrated seeing little improvement. Run at least 5x per week. One bottle of Powerade????? That should be a minimum. If you follow these general guidelines, you will be amazed of how rewarding running is. Good luck to you!
JohnsZ is offline   Reply With Quote