View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 11:59 AM   #480 (permalink)
mults
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2010 (40th) #706
mults has a reputation beyond reputemults has a reputation beyond reputemults has a reputation beyond reputemults has a reputation beyond reputemults has a reputation beyond reputemults has a reputation beyond reputemults has a reputation beyond reputemults has a reputation beyond reputemults has a reputation beyond reputemults has a reputation beyond reputemults has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadoquad View Post
My advice to you and any other first timers...

When driving the Dragon, the Hellbender, and/or the Cherohala Skyway for the first time...

Be patient and take your time. Learn those roads first before pushing anything. They have the reputation for being dangerous for a reason. The folks who have been there for several years running may attempt to drive it faster, but that's because they have an expectation of what's around every corner. And even then, you never fully KNOW what's around that next blind corner. Could be a semi or another motorist crossing the center line. Always be aware. I'm sure other Zdayz vets can attest to this.

Also, and this is my personal opinion, be courteous to the locals on the roads. Don't tailgate, don't be rude at shops and gas stops. Don't flip people off. Don't instigate things with bikers. Probably goes without saying, but the less negative attention we draw to the event, the better.
That's some great advice. I was a virgin last year, and there were a few times that I let others get the best of me. I tried to "push" the Z at a pace that I was not the most confident with, so my survival instincts kicked in and I slowed to a more comfortable driving mindset . All I know is that the car has greater capabilities than I do. Only drive to your abilities and everything will be fine. When someone is behind you that seems anxious to "open it up", try to get out of their way and let them pass. Like the OP said, "they have a reputation of being dangerous for a reason."
Build Date/Number: 1/27/2010 #706
Berk HFC + CBE, R2C CAI, Clear Bra, Cleveland Z Club
mults is offline   Reply With Quote