View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #65 (permalink)
CDepp
Track Member

Drives: sideways
CDepp is a splendid one to beholdCDepp is a splendid one to beholdCDepp is a splendid one to beholdCDepp is a splendid one to beholdCDepp is a splendid one to beholdCDepp is a splendid one to beholdCDepp is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthArk370Z View Post
I don't see how this is any different than using the right foot only. You have to move your foot off the accel either way.
Under normal circumstances, I will still have my foot on the accel pedal (or over it) and am ready to react as needed.

I agree. Whatever floats your boat, gets you through the night, &c. If driving two-footed is not comfortable for you, then, by all means, don't do it.

What I don't agree with is whether or not two-footed driving is inherently unsafe. If anything, it should be safer (in theory) to be able to accel or brake without having to move the right foot around.
I'm not saying it's 'unsafe', I'm just arguing it's not 'as safe'. In general for the masses, if your right foot is on the brake pedal, that the the only safe place while braking in some circumstances. I imagine those circumstances can arise from situations where you're blocking a safe place for your right foot, with your left, and you need to quickly brace when that deer comes out.

And, as I was saying, there has to be many left-foot braking drivers out there that can handle a situation better than right-foot braking ones. I would scold any instructor who taught it as a basic technique for people in general, but never try to belittle a driver who can do it with skill.