View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 09:43 AM   #60 (permalink)
CDepp
Track Member

Drives: sideways
CDepp is a splendid one to beholdCDepp is a splendid one to beholdCDepp is a splendid one to beholdCDepp is a splendid one to beholdCDepp is a splendid one to beholdCDepp is a splendid one to beholdCDepp is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthArk370Z View Post
In any situation that comes close to being an emergency, I will have both feet on the brake pedal; ready to slide the right foot back on the accel, if needed.
So, you could be doing exactly the thing I'm stating is unsafe: moving your foot over the accelerator and then out of reaction to a changing situation, extending both legs. That can put your right foot in a very bad position.
(read below before addressing this)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthArk370Z View Post
In situations where I may need to switch between brakes and accel (eg, merging with traffic), I'll have one foot on each pedal (left foot not quite touching the brake), ready for whatever happens. In 40 years of driving like that, I've never pushed on the wrong pedal.

In normal driving, I'll usually have my left foot a half-inch or so off the brake pedal. Out on the interstate, I'll move my left foot to any comfortable position and use my right foot for braking if the left foot is too far out of position when quick action is required.

If someone is driving with their foot resting on the brake pedal, they are doing it wrong - doesn't matter which foot they are using.
Like I said, to each their own. We all don't react the same out of reflex, and conditioning can change our behavior. I can say that there would be left-foot brakers that would be better than a right-foot braker in a situation based on the person driving, not the style.
I would confidently say, though, I am a better driver using right-foot braking where I thought the truck was going to collide and both legs extended. And my feet are too large too share one pedal and risk sliding off the side (especially trying to stand up on the one pedal).