View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 08:40 AM   #53 (permalink)
CDepp
Track Member

Drives: sideways
CDepp is a splendid one to beholdCDepp is a splendid one to beholdCDepp is a splendid one to beholdCDepp is a splendid one to beholdCDepp is a splendid one to beholdCDepp is a splendid one to beholdCDepp is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaZ View Post
In an emergency, I drive however I need to in order to avoid a collision. This may involve shifting my feet over to the right so that I can brake and clutch in at the same time, or it may involve lifting my foot off the accelerator while continuing to brake with my left foot.
If I'm in a collision already, where my feet are is a moot point.
Maybe I'm just stirring the pot and arguing , but I don't think your left foot is ever a moot point if you brace for impact and slam down on the accelerator, or slide into the pedal if it's a front end impact. Hitting the accelerator during an impact isn't exactly the best practice.

I know my left cannot cause harm as it's on the clutch or the dead-pedal (left-foot rest), and nor can my right as it's the brake. The dead pedal is designed for your left foot to rest when not shifting in a MT and to rest in an AT, and it's raised for comfort and reaction speed for clutches, and it's reinforced for bracing to collide. Even the slightest amount of pressure on the clutch causes wear and I was taught not to "hover" during normal operation, unless approaching an intersection,etc.

Check your reaction time:
With the car off, jump your left foot from the dead pedal to the brake, then your right foot from the accelerator to the brake. The difference in time is most likely almost a half second in favor of your right, even if trained to left-foot brake. A half second can make all the difference in the world in many situations.