View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 08:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Gawl128
Base Member

Drives: 2011 370Z Nismo
Gawl128 has a reputation beyond reputeGawl128 has a reputation beyond reputeGawl128 has a reputation beyond reputeGawl128 has a reputation beyond reputeGawl128 has a reputation beyond reputeGawl128 has a reputation beyond reputeGawl128 has a reputation beyond reputeGawl128 has a reputation beyond reputeGawl128 has a reputation beyond reputeGawl128 has a reputation beyond reputeGawl128 has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy 6qts... TO MUCH OIL!?!

So I just finished my oil change today. Put the 5qts in ran it - added about another 1/8 ... checked the dipstick and noticed I was still not really full...
I also checked for leaks of any kind - non were found.

Took it to a local Nissan shop, showed them and said: "Yea, your low - you need to add more".

I told him I had already given it more then 5qts...

He responded that it will take a little more of the last qt. He even went so far to say that we (Nissan) give 5quarts as a pretty close guide, but you have to trust what the car is saying - Your dip stick shows your low.

I got home gave it alittle more - still a good bit away from being "High" on the dip stick..... I would say after close to 6qts - I am 75% toward the "H" (for high) on the dipstick.

I have basically put 6qts of oil in this car, and after everything I have read about it only taking (at most) 5 1/8 qts - really freaked out.

Its un-moded. As in no oil pan spacer, and running the stock Nismo Oil Filter... Unless the Nismo oil filter holds more oil... Which as its the same size of stock - I don't see how that is the case.

What are your thoughts?

UPDATE:

Basically, I've decided to go pick up on "Oil Extractor" - a syhon for oil and lubricants.

Pull the extra .8 quarts out of the dipstick tube and call it a day on this one.

Sucks that I have to go buy this thing, but who knows - I hear it can come in handy when you are changing your other fluids.
Gawl's Journal - 2011 370Z Nismo #475

Last edited by Gawl128; 02-16-2013 at 02:03 AM. Reason: more info added
Gawl128 is offline   Reply With Quote