View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 06:38 PM   #103 (permalink)
Dante Rising
Base Member

Drives: Nissan 370z
Dante Rising is on a distinguished road
Default Steering Lock Confusion

Sorry everyone,

I know there are several threads related to this problem, but the more I read the more confused I become on the subject. I have absolutely no knowledge about working on cars.

Three days ago the low key battery indicator started showing on my 2009 Nissan 370Z (automatic transmission) LCD screen. I ordered a set of new batteries from Amazon, but they have not yet arrived.

Today when I went into my garage and the car wouldn't start. I noticed the yellow "key" indicator is on, and the intelligent key will only lock and unlock the doors. I tried to start the car by placing the intelligent key in the manual start port, but the push button ignition stays ("reads") in the locked position, and the LCD shows an image that appears to be telling me to pull the key out of the port.

The steering wheel itself is not locked, however. I can actually move it back and forth, but the break petal will not press very far down.

Is this most likely the Steering Lock failure issue, or am I doing something wrong? And if this IS the steering failure, am I understanding my first option is:

1) "open the car door, but dont try pushing the start button. Take a heavy tool like a hammer or something and smack the crap out of the SLU about 5 good times and then put your foot on the break and push the start button"

or am I supposed to HOLD the push button down WHILE banging on the Steering Lock pane?

2) Also, the piece I'm supposed to hit is silver panel under the steering column that says "to throw away in case of free fall"? Correct? I'm REALLY worried that I will hit this thing too hard, or from the wrong angle with the hammer and cause even MORE problems.

3) If this doesn't work, are there any other manual ways for a newbie to disengage this lock without calling a two truck and spending $1500 dollars?

Thank you, everyone.
Dante Rising is offline   Reply With Quote