View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013, 11:25 PM   #46 (permalink)
MJB
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: a POS truck
MJB has a reputation beyond reputeMJB has a reputation beyond reputeMJB has a reputation beyond reputeMJB has a reputation beyond reputeMJB has a reputation beyond reputeMJB has a reputation beyond reputeMJB has a reputation beyond reputeMJB has a reputation beyond reputeMJB has a reputation beyond reputeMJB has a reputation beyond reputeMJB has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEpointfive0 View Post
If your engine is CONSUMING oil, you need a new engine... If your car is burning oil, nothing will help really, (To me consuming is done because of a broken piston ring or a valve leak or something, while burning is when the oil gets hot, and goes through the PCV system) so make sure you know which one it is

In theory going with a thicker oil will help if your car consumes oil... But going with a 0W, would probably be worse because it will consume just as much if not more oil because the thin oil can move anywhere

Old school thinking, car uses 5W30, when it hits 100k, move to 10W30 or 10W40
Thats not all the way true... Nissan will only replace an engine if the oil level drops 10mm on the dipstick after 1500 miles... My engine consumes a little bit of oil, but not enough to get the engine replaced... 10w40 would be to thick for startup (cold starts) IMO, especially in colder climates like WA state. I would rather have better protection with a 0w or 5w..

0w40 is thinner at startup compared to 5w30 yes... but at operating range, the 0w40 would be thicker.

Isn't consuming and burning oil the same thing? Oil getting past the pistons rings and being consumed and or burnt off in the combustion chamber.
09 Nismo #0483 sold. Viper or C7 next time around.

Last edited by MJB; 02-09-2013 at 11:42 PM.
MJB is offline   Reply With Quote