View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 03:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
juld0zer
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 11 Nissan 370Z MB M6
juld0zer has a reputation beyond reputejuld0zer has a reputation beyond reputejuld0zer has a reputation beyond reputejuld0zer has a reputation beyond reputejuld0zer has a reputation beyond reputejuld0zer has a reputation beyond reputejuld0zer has a reputation beyond reputejuld0zer has a reputation beyond reputejuld0zer has a reputation beyond reputejuld0zer has a reputation beyond reputejuld0zer has a reputation beyond repute

hi there, i have the sensor inside the inlet duct to the air filter box. (the bit that gets removed during a Gen 3 intake install.

Putting it inside the plenum (that's what it's called right?) would get you a pretty good idea of air temps almost immediately before it enters the cylinder. but that would be heatsoak galore... and i'd need a different sensor capable of being in the hostile conditions of this region (vacuum, oil blowby, heat) which would be a covered sensor, ie one which reacts slowly compared to the bare bulb style type.

Plenty of debate over the effectiveness of IAT sensor relocation, where is the 'ideal' place to mount it etc but let's leave that to the GM guys. concept is the same though - reduce bogging to improve driveability & improve standing starts whether simply keeping up with civics or at the drag strip.

I dont have the gear to measure air temps using an independent sensor/device but i'd be interested in getting an idea of how much the air gets warmed as it passes thru the blazing hot pre-throttle body pipes. Does plastic really radiate less heat into the air inside? Does the air inside get heated at all due to the velocity it travels thru en route to the cylinder?
If the heating is minimal then i'd say mounting the sensor outside of the engine bay is a great idea on a n/a engine. FI guys would most benefit from a post intercooler mounted sensor though
juld0zer is offline   Reply With Quote