Thread: Pad knockback
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2009, 07:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
semtex
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: People to drink
semtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond repute

Well, when I posted this question originally (over 3 months ago), what I was referring to is that sometimes it feels like there's a little more travel in the brake pedal before the brake pads bite. So I guess you could call that delayed braking time, sorta. If I release the brakes then step down again, then it bites with barely any pedal travel at all. See what happens is that when there's a lot of lateral load (as during hard cornering), the wheel hubs can flex a bit, which makes the rotors push or knock the pads back into the calipers (hence the phrase 'pad knockback'). The result is a small gap between the pads and the rotors, which in turn accounts for why you have to push the brake pedal down deeper before the pads bite into the rotors. If you go up to my original post and click on the link, it'll take you to StopTech's page explaining it all, complete with a little graphic to illustrate. I've gotten into the habit of double-tapping my brakes now, which means then when I want the brakes to really bite hard, I don't just step down on the pedal, but do a quick step-release-step on the pedal.
semtex is offline   Reply With Quote