View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 08:49 AM   #92 (permalink)
irondoc
Base Member

Drives: 13 370 6MT sport tou
irondoc is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=elperuano;2141180]It's amazing that the inferior Stillen kit still gets this much play.

The main reason everyone goes for this kit is because with the Stillen SC and Stillen tune it's supposedly still keeps "warranty". For everyone that went this route they quickly realized the cost wasn't worth what the Stillen SC provided. The Stillen tune is complete garbage. You can almost make the same with the most mods people go with anyway i.e. exhaust intake tp/HFC and an Osiris tune.
Once people realized Stillen tune was garbage, to save face they threw the warranty out the window and went with a custom tune. Even then the gains for what ur paying is minimal....

There seems to be some venom against Stillen out there. Not sure why but…
My experience was not seamless, but the above hardly reflects what actually happened.
I am no expert. I wanted SC because of the faster power response. I have had several turbo cars and could always feel the turbo lag. Even in my brothers 2011 335 with a stock TT set up the lag is apparent.
My research showed Stillen to be the best option for a supercharger. I was looking for HP gains well beyond what non-FI options can provide and from what I can tell, the statement “…You can almost make the same with the most mods people go with anyway i.e. exhaust intake tp/HFC and an Osiris tune…” simply isn’t true. The best by far I have seen any one report without FI is roughly 340whp and that was with high flow cats – definitely not CARB legal and generally marketed as an off road option only.
The GTM kit lists for $8726 for the satin kit (without an oil cooler). Their web site states “…This includes installation with before and after dyno testing. Expected results for this with tuning session are 360-400 rwhp….”
In order for them to include installation in the price one would presumably have to go to them for the install. Not an option for me.
Stillen’s kit lists at $6300 for the Satin kit and estimates 12 hours for install. The oil cooler was $600 with tax and shipping. My install costs including the 25 row oil cooler and all the extra work (due to previously described issues) was $1900. So installed with oil cooler (not included in GTM kit) was $8800. Realistically $7800 without the oil cooler.
That is over $900 less than the GTM and I dyno’d at 394 whp on the Stillen tune with snow tires. I am told by my tuner to expect roughly 405whp with my NISMO wheels and summer tires. So on a cost/hp ratio, I believe I did better than with the GTM kit.
irondoc is offline   Reply With Quote