View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 05:03 PM   #1496 (permalink)
Cmike2780
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: slowwww
Cmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTurnon View Post
Can you guys help me?

I am looking to get a camera. Either brand new or used on craigslist.

I am looking to take great photos without having to break the bank. I need to know which cameras to look into. Everyones got their own opinion about brand. I just want to know of 2 or 3 cameras to keep my eye on.

My budget is anywhere from $500-1000..

Thanks guys
I'm assuming you're just starting out, so the best advice would be to find out what you plan on taking pictures of. DSLR's are awesome, but for most people that never switch the camera out of "auto" you'll be better of with a high quality point and shoot. If you plan on getting a bit more serious with photography, a DSLR is definitely the way to go. The best investment in getting great photos is to take photography classes.....or read some books and watch some videos on the internet. Then take thousands of pictures.

What most people understand is that you can take a great photo with just about any camera if you have the skills for taking great pictures. Any DSLR from Nikon or Canon is going to be more than you need. I'd stick to the newer models because they have a ton of features that were reserved to the high end models a few years ago. For entry level bodies, the T2i or T3 from Canon is a great choice...so is the 3200 & 5100 from Nikon. I currently have a Nikon D90 and will probably stick with it for a while. It's more than I need for now. The body of ANY new DSLR's have more than enough capabilities for 90% of photographers. The lenses you use will carry the brunt of work in getting the picture you're after, so I'd say choosing the right lens for the job is the more important decision if you're doing something more specific.

The Nikon 1 and EOS M are also great choices if you want something more compact and don't want the bulk associated with carrying a DSLR.

I don't think you should buy it off of craigslist if you don't know the person, simply because at this point in the hobby, you don't know what to look out. I shop at B&H, Adorama and my local camera store, Cameta Camera (Cameras for Sale | Buy a Digital Camera from Cameta Camera). If you're looking to save, Cameta is close to the Nikon HQ down the block, so they receive refurbished camera stuff with 1 year warranties. It's basically new camera gear that's been tested and guaranteed to work. A lot safer than used gear. It's usually cheaper than new, but a bit more than used equipment. All three stores also have used equipment that are tested by pros before they sell it.

You can get a really nice brand used or refurbished setup for under $1,000. I'd personally go with the D7000 and a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8. Not a zoom lens, but I could do a lot with just those two pieces of gear. It's a lot of camera for someone starting out, but it will be a long while before you're need to upgrade to a better camera body. The same for the T4i if you want to go with Canon.

Last edited by Cmike2780; 01-29-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Cmike2780 is offline   Reply With Quote