View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 11:10 PM   #17 (permalink)
M.Bonanni
The370Z.com Sponsor

Drives: Fast
M.Bonanni has a reputation beyond reputeM.Bonanni has a reputation beyond reputeM.Bonanni has a reputation beyond reputeM.Bonanni has a reputation beyond reputeM.Bonanni has a reputation beyond reputeM.Bonanni has a reputation beyond reputeM.Bonanni has a reputation beyond reputeM.Bonanni has a reputation beyond reputeM.Bonanni has a reputation beyond reputeM.Bonanni has a reputation beyond reputeM.Bonanni has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to M.Bonanni

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan0 View Post
trust me, i've seen plenty of guys who have plenty of track days screw up 9.. i've screwed up 9 in one way or another every time i've been there.

so you're saying that you barely touched the pedal and the car just applied tons of brake by itself? is that common?

most people complain about their car's mythical 'ice mode' as being "i broke normally and the abs kicked in thinking the wheels were locking up when they weren't".. thus the term 'ice mode'.. supposedly the car thinks the fronts are easily locking up (like you were on ice) and ABS kicks in, pulsing like crazy preventing you from stopping in a timely fashion... which in theory would help if you were on ice, but since you're not, it just extends your braking distance.
From what I understand about the 370Z ABS/EBD system "ice mode" is a safety feature that monitors the yaw sensor, wheel speed sensors, vehicle speed, brake pressure, steering angle, etc. to determine if the car is in a "safe" situation to apply the brakes. If it thinks it is not in a "safe" situation to apply the brakes, the moment you try to the ABS/EBD takes over and sends brake pressure to whatever corners needed to keep the car under control. With track driving, particularly at that spot on WSIR in a modified 370Z I am guessing that the combination of the mph, g-forces, wheel speed, steering angle, etc. exceeded what the ABS/EBD considered "safe" to apply the brakes which would probably be true if I were in a bone stock 370Z with stock tires. So as soon as the brakes were activated the ABS/EBD took over and sent brake pressure to where it saw fit. Threshold braking is the most common scenario when people experience it for sure but I don't think it HAS to be threshold braking in a straight line, I think its just simply any scenario where the data coming in from all of the sensors exceeds what the ABS computer thinks is a safe situation to apply brakes. Because the car has EBD and can distribute the brake pressure differently to each corner how it reacts depends on the situation its in.
Function > Form
M.Bonanni is offline   Reply With Quote