View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 12:06 PM   #69 (permalink)
Mt Tam I am
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370Z T/S/N 6MT & XKE
Mt Tam I am has a reputation beyond reputeMt Tam I am has a reputation beyond reputeMt Tam I am has a reputation beyond reputeMt Tam I am has a reputation beyond reputeMt Tam I am has a reputation beyond reputeMt Tam I am has a reputation beyond reputeMt Tam I am has a reputation beyond reputeMt Tam I am has a reputation beyond reputeMt Tam I am has a reputation beyond reputeMt Tam I am has a reputation beyond reputeMt Tam I am has a reputation beyond repute

I heard then saw an EVO going past my place of work and could not help but think what fun he is about to have. The roads were wet, it was sunny, and in the low 40's.

As I was leaving late in the afternoon I saw the same EVO on a flat bed and with only a brief glance to see what the problem was, I am guessing he spun and hit a tree square with the trunk. Pretty awful.

I took off as usual and the road conditions were similar. The road stayed moist and the sun was unable to dry the road except in the direct sun light. So every turn under the trees stays wet and cold.

I took my first few turns at a normal speed and got normal feed back as these were in the sun. The next few turns in the shade quickly felt like I should slow down and think about the EVO, and did. Soon however I was up on a couple of cars following at their slow pace.

The lead car signaled and turned hard right while the next car lost control somehow and partially slid onto the shoulder. A poor description as I was half asleep at this speed . I stopped way back, then pulled up along the stopped car to ask the driver if she needed any help, clearly she did not but asked anyway. She was shaken up only.

The road is open again but I am still thinking about the EVO and what I just saw, so not too fast. Immediately a Mustang comes up behind, and my strict rule of Always let the faster driving car by came into effect. At the first opportunity I signaled him to pass me. It is a turning lane designed for residents to pull into so as not to stop traffic. It also works as a passing lane in this instance. It also happens to be under a bunch of eucalyptus trees. For those unfamiliar with their debris, their leaves, acorns and bark fall and get wet making up what I've referred to as a slurry. He was only too happy to pass me with a ton of power on a sweeping off camber right turn, where this slurry gets pushed by the cars going both this and the opposite direction.

A smooth application of power would have served him better. His engine lit up, he flew past me, his engine made different sound, followed by his rear end passing him in a 220 degree spin. He stayed on the road as he came to a stop, facing the other direction, but all lined up for the road, the turn lane was originally for. I figure he just needed to do a U turn and he'd be back behind me.

This is a good point to mention that California drivers are so unaccustomed to bad driving conditions that we are very dangerous. Note this if you see CA plates in your driving.

So with all this sliding and spinning you can imagine my reticence at turning off VDC at my usual turn. I came into the turn fine but exiting I drifted a foot unintentionally. This goes back to, CA drivers are unpredictable in lesser road conditions.

That Mustang never turned up again either.

The rest of the drive home was VDC on, dry and uneventful.
Nissan Motorsports 34R Oil Cooler. Stillen CBE. Hotchkis Sport Sway Bars. KW Variant 3 Coilover System. Stillen Gen3 CAI. Michelin Pilot Super Sport. Stillen Brake Ducts. Carbotech™ XP10/XP8 Pads. Z1 Front Rotors. Z1 Stainless Brake Lines. Two degrees of camber
Mt Tam I am is offline   Reply With Quote