View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 10:27 PM   #60 (permalink)
ImportConvert
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2019 CX5 GT Reserve
ImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt Tam I am View Post
Wow. This is awful. Treat yourself like an older patient, and take a baby asprin every day, till this passes. No strokes for you.

I know you carry a gun, so be careful that you are not quick to anger or scare.

I have found that excercise such as walking miles helps.

Lastly, I do not know your politics but since the election many folks are anxious, especially gun folk.

Relax somehow and this will pass.
Like I said, it's not an emotional thing. I'm calm emotionally, and was at the time until I freaked out about "something's SERIOUSLY (I thought) WRONG!"

I'm still calm, level, etc.

For the next 4 weeks or so, though, I am not drinking any caffeine. They gave me scripts for Valium and Xanax, and I have not even filled those yet. I honestly don't know when I would even take one, because I refuse to go to work, drive, or carry when I have had even 1 alcoholic drink. Same for stuff like that.

Personally, I hope this never happens again, but if it did, me carrying a weapon would not be a factor. It's like saying "someone in their 50's shouldn't carry because they could have a heart-attack". The experience is VERY similar, so I hear. You don't "freak out" and want to start shooting or punching or anything crazy. Certainly not a hazard to carry if you have a panic attack. Like I said, It's super hard to explain, but just think of how you feel after sprinting 100m. That's how I felt sitting stock still. It scared the hell out of me, and that led to it getting worse...Definitely not a risk for a CCW'er, just a helluva horrible experience.

My MD said that this may be the only time it ever happens. As far as it affecting my performance, I stabilized the patient I was working with at the time, called the MD about a change in their condition, and hung ABX on another patient, and then went and sat down, and that is when I started feeling really bad. I went and got OJ b/c I thought my glucose was low. I then got more. I then asked someone to check my sugar, etc. Total voluntary control of my actions, etc.

I dunno, I'm sorry to go on and on about it, I just didn't know wtf a "panic-attack" was, and I'm trying to help others understand now that I definitely do

The only time I was "goofy" was when I was in the ER and I was CONVINCED this was an MI, and they kept saying stuff like "Well, you're not having the Big One, buddy" and I was asking "Am I having ANY!? one?" and I started asking things like "Are you guys just trying to keep me calm by not telling me?" I wasn't angry or combative, I was just scared as hell and being untrusting. That is even in the MD's notes.

Anyway, just trying to educate people who have never experienced this, and I hope you never do, but that's the only way you will "get it", so I hope you don't ever really understand what I'm saying, but....

...Panic Attacks cannot kill you, do not make you unsafe carrying, driving, etc., are not emotional--they are physiological responses to things.

That's what I got from my MD on it in short.

As to the 81mg ASA advise per day, for my situation, that would be wrong. Any time you have a patient that you are worried about high BP on, the method of CVA is likely to be a bleed. ASA would exacerbate this. You want a patient on ASA who: Has stents, AFIB or other dishythmia that could lead to clot formation, is not active, etc. Basically anyone who might throw a clot. High BP is more at risk for bleeds.
ImportConvert is offline   Reply With Quote