View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 12:10 PM   #1484 (permalink)
ZForce
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 09 370Z Tour + Sport
ZForce has much to be proud ofZForce has much to be proud ofZForce has much to be proud ofZForce has much to be proud ofZForce has much to be proud ofZForce has much to be proud ofZForce has much to be proud ofZForce has much to be proud ofZForce has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmike2780 View Post
IMO, UV filters are only good for protecting the lens from physical damage. If you buy a quality lens to begin with and you take care of it, you don't really need it to add additional protection from UV. It's still good to have. A lot of the people I know agree that they'd rather break a $40 filter than a $900 lens. Coupled with a good quality lens hood, its a small investment to keep your lens from being damaged. If you have a cheap lens that yellows easily, why bother. As far as image quality, it makes no difference and may even make it worst if you buy a cheap UV filter.

As far as destroying the sensor, that's highly unlikely. Your lens is essentially a UV filter and very little UV actually makes it to the sensor. It's not sensitive to UV. You're also talking shutter speeds of fractions of a second in bright daylight conditions.
This was exactly what I have heard over the years from professional photo magazines and forums. You gave my response the detailed version in depth, but this is how I feel. I have been shooting film (SLR) actually I preferred slide film (AgfaChrome) in the early seventies and always used a UV. Then about in the early 2000's, read in a magazine to the other side of the coin. Which was... why place another piece of glass (no matter what the quality over a $900 plus lens to just distort it? They basically said treat the camera and lens with the same way you would caress your wife (that's my own analogy) and if you scratch the lens then oh well TBSS (too bad so sad). Which got me to thinking, I do not have that kind of money to be tossing around on a new lens if I scratch it, not on a federal employee salary. So I still opt use either a UV or testing a new B&W Skylight filter. I also have a good lens hood too. Plus with photoshop or LightRoom you can remove the haze or whatever the choosen filter adds if it does suit your particular shot. And the sharpening tools in both s/w prohragms mentioned are great. Hell.. I still use ACDSee sharpening tool over PS. Although I just broke down and purchased Light Room ver 3 (still running WinXP) and Scott Kelby's book.

Thanks for the feeback very good info.

Last edited by ZForce; 01-18-2013 at 12:22 PM. Reason: typos and added some stuff
ZForce is offline   Reply With Quote