View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 03:50 PM   #117 (permalink)
shadowfax
Base Member

Drives: 2013 Sport PW A7
shadowfax is on a distinguished road

The ticket experience that made me stop driving like a dumbass:

Taking the Bake exit on the 405 South, there is a nice long swerving offramp. I loved to do a little spirited driving, usually maintaining freeway speed for the duration of the offramp, which is 4 lanes wide.

This particular time an audi S4 was taking it around the same time as me, and I, was doing my normal thing and ended up passing him about 700 feet before we came to a stop and took his lane, as it was the only lane without a car already waiting for the light.

Apparently he didn't like that, because after the light turned green, he ended up cutting me off then flooring it. I thought to myself what a douche, let him go. But something triggered and I decided to chase him, and I ended up catching him and I guess "raced" with me leaving him a few car lengths behind at 130mph. (STUPID!)

I look in my rear view to laugh at him, and I see those red and blues... immediately my heart sunk. "This is it, I'm going to lose my 350z, my license, I'm going to jail" I'm shaking as I pull over, turn off my lights for some reason (it's night time) and then turn them back on, press my hazards. And I wait for the officer.

As he approaches, he looks mad "YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME!" I immediately start to apologize before he cuts me off. "HOLD ON."

=He walks away and says something like "whiskey tango foxtrot niner" into his radio.
=He approaches my car again
Cop: "I JUST HAD TO CALL OFF A CHASE BECAUSE I COULDN'T CATCH YOU!"
=I'm pretty much shaking, stuttering, like an 8 year old kid who's in trouble.
Me: "I'm sorry I'm such an idiot. I didn't see you- I don't know if you saw but I got cut off and I lost my cool"
Cop: "Yeah I saw, what is this, a new one, it's fast.?"
Me: "it's a 2008, I just bought it used a few months ago."
Cop: "Well, you seem like a good person. Slow down."

He got back into his squad car and drove off.

I couldn't process it, sat there staring blankly for a few minutes.

TLDR: lost cool and drove 130mph on a surface street, cop gave me a break, scared me enough to not speed again.