View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 08:15 AM   #43 (permalink)
Red__Zed
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Mostly on two wheels
Red__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmike2780 View Post
Although the stock block has more than proven itself to be plenty reliable if you don't go too crazy with boost, I think the OP has the right approach. I design structural components for buildings and as a rule of thumb, its always best to overdesign something rather than have it fail due to something unforseen. The engineers at Nissan know this...which is why it can handle a bit of boost. If you can afford to spend the cash for a build, it's going to save you a lot of time and headache later when/if you decide you want more power. You need to find the right balance of what you can afford to spend and reliability. If you don't leave yourself a margin for error, you'll end up broke like a few guys I've heard rumors about.
It's not so simple to say that aftermarket parts are overdesigned. There are a myriad of complex factors that come into play when you start swapping internals, and you're usually trading certain types of reliability for others.
Red__Zed is offline   Reply With Quote