View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 09:50 PM   #109 (permalink)
didymus
Track Member

Drives: 280 / 370Z
didymus has a reputation beyond reputedidymus has a reputation beyond reputedidymus has a reputation beyond reputedidymus has a reputation beyond reputedidymus has a reputation beyond reputedidymus has a reputation beyond reputedidymus has a reputation beyond reputedidymus has a reputation beyond reputedidymus has a reputation beyond reputedidymus has a reputation beyond reputedidymus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmike2780 View Post
Not a Canon user but can shed some insight. If you have a crop sensor camera, the 100mm has enough reach for most macro stuff and can double as a great portrait lens. The 180mm is gonna give you the reach if you plan on taking pics of tiny insects from a greater working distance. I wouldn't worry to much about image stabilization or Auto Focus tech since macro work is easier if done manually. The 3.5 vs 2.8 isn't much of a difference since it becomes razor thin. Truthfully, the 100mm is more than enough....but it really depends on what you shoot and what you shoot with. You could always add extension tubes.
I have the old 100mm. Agree this is long enough mostly, on a crop body. If full frame would want the 180. I have done a lot of macro work. I disagree that IS isn't useful, could be very helpful. Both great lenses. Agree that 2.8 isn't a useful aperture if actually shooting macro subjects. But can make for a nice portrait lens
didymus is offline   Reply With Quote