View Single Post
Old 09-23-2009, 10:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
ResIpsa
Track Member

Drives: 09 RACING HEN
ResIpsa has a reputation beyond reputeResIpsa has a reputation beyond reputeResIpsa has a reputation beyond reputeResIpsa has a reputation beyond reputeResIpsa has a reputation beyond reputeResIpsa has a reputation beyond reputeResIpsa has a reputation beyond reputeResIpsa has a reputation beyond reputeResIpsa has a reputation beyond reputeResIpsa has a reputation beyond reputeResIpsa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Stillen Track Cooler + Mocal Thermo

I had my Stillen track oil cooler with a Mocal 180 degree sandwich plate installed yesterday. I had the opportunity to drive 30 miles home in Northern Virginia traffic (on I 66). The air temperature was around 80 degrees.

The first part of my drive was bumper to bumper traffic with an average speed around 20 mph. The car quickly began to heat up reaching around 160 before the Mocal began to open up. At that point the temperature slowly climbed.

I watched as the temps climbed from 190 to 200 with a peak in heavy traffic of just below 210 degrees.

Then...

The traffic opened up and I was able to travel at speeds of 60mph to 80 mph in 5th gear (I purposely did not shift into 6th gear at any point). In open air, the temps began to rapidly fall resting around 190 degrees. No amount of 5th gear pushing would make the temperature needle budge. Normally, I would experience temps around 220 to 230 degrees.

On a side note, I believe the outside ambient temperature sensor must be near the cooler. I know now that our temperature gauges only go up to 132 degrees. After that, all you get is a straight line.

I wonder how this would affect an intake that breathes in front of the radiator (like the Stillen G3). Definitely would no longer be a cold air intake.