View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 07:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
CDepp
Track Member

Drives: sideways
CDepp is a splendid one to beholdCDepp is a splendid one to beholdCDepp is a splendid one to beholdCDepp is a splendid one to beholdCDepp is a splendid one to beholdCDepp is a splendid one to beholdCDepp is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRizz View Post
how does said tool get in there
???
Talking with the mechanic: He believes it was left under the hood, on the engine, and during my fiance's drive to work, it fell down and either into the serpentine belt or the axle. From the noise she described, I believe it fell somewhere into the latter and the noise was the steering pump trying to turn the wheels and binding on the wrench. That would be enough force to bend the plates of steel. I hope that's the case because if it fell into the belt, it could have bound on a tension pulley just as easily as binding on the AC pulley (possibly damaging the clutch) or the crank pulley, or even the power steering pulley. The tension pulley and possibly the pulley arm would be an easy and cheaper fix. There's no telling how much damage was done and we won't know unless we tear down the engine and suspension to investigate or give it a year of driving and see what fails.