View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 11:15 PM   #25 (permalink)
dP3NGU1N
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 13 PW sport 6mt
dP3NGU1N has much to be proud ofdP3NGU1N has much to be proud ofdP3NGU1N has much to be proud ofdP3NGU1N has much to be proud ofdP3NGU1N has much to be proud ofdP3NGU1N has much to be proud ofdP3NGU1N has much to be proud ofdP3NGU1N has much to be proud ofdP3NGU1N has much to be proud ofdP3NGU1N has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDreamer View Post
That is easy to do, if the phone has the tech (NFC) built in it will work very easy. The issue is NFC is still a new tech item so not all phones or devices have it yet.

Also on losing your phone. I agree it is a huge security risk, but take my iPhone for example as preventitive measures:
-I can track it down to a specific GPS spot within 5-10 feet
-Can remotely wipe it or lock it out
-Play a security alert
-Have a full back-up ready to go within minutes of receiving a new phone (via cloud or laptop)
-Passcodes on every app I can and on the phone itself
NFC actually isn't new technology. The concept is atleast 50 years old (beginning with RFID and eventually evolving to NFC as a standard) and has been widely adopted in other countries. The US is just way behind on adopting new things (Far too many people afraid of technology than there should be for a first world country, IMO)

When we eventually get the infrastructure for this I wouldn't be surprised if a card that fits in your wallet or your phone replaced your key completely. For those of you who are afraid that your phone might run out of batteries, it's possible for it to simply run a passive RFID or NFC tag that doesn't require power. I THINK as it is now our key fobs don't actually need batteries to start the engine, the battery is simply for remote locking/unlocking. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.
dP3NGU1N is offline   Reply With Quote