Thread: Fan temps
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012, 01:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
SouthArk370Z
Premium Member

Drives: 2014 Challenger
SouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
I didn't remove the thermostat. I had to order the cooler from the states. I am over seas. I could get a thermostat now after installing the cooler system? They don't sell anything here in Israel. I would have to wait a month for it? Is it crucial to have the thermostat? I don't drive hard until the car oil has reached operating temperature of 180. You say to fiddle with the fan temps but I don't think anyone is competent enough to do that here. There isn't a standard set-up? Like thisAttachment 60198.
I would try to keep coolant temps below 190F (ie, max fan at 187 or so) to keep the ECM happy, but I'm no expert. If that map is recommended by someone that knows what they are doing, go with it. You can always adjust it later.

As far as the bypass, you can get by without one temporarily, but baby the engine until oil temp gets close to 160F or so. It may help to temporarily block part of the cooler (a piece of cardboard works well).
I try to keep RPMs below 2000-2500 until the gauge moves off the 140F mark. When it gets to ~160, I'll let it rev to 2500-3000. I try to keep a moderate foot on the pedal until 180F. This is being very conservative - the oiling system can probably handle WOT once oil temp is above 140F or so. YMMV