Thread: The next gen Z!
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 01:03 AM   #282 (permalink)
cavemancan
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 09 370Z TourSport MT
cavemancan has a reputation beyond reputecavemancan has a reputation beyond reputecavemancan has a reputation beyond reputecavemancan has a reputation beyond reputecavemancan has a reputation beyond reputecavemancan has a reputation beyond reputecavemancan has a reputation beyond reputecavemancan has a reputation beyond reputecavemancan has a reputation beyond reputecavemancan has a reputation beyond reputecavemancan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbreath View Post
I think I read somewhere that Nissan and Infiniti were going to divorce the Z/G union and make them completely separate cars. That the two would no longer share similar chassis and drivetrain.

** edit: This link says that the next gen G will be based off of the Mercedes C class platform. According to this rumor, I don't think the G will be an accurate indication of what we will be seeing for the next gen Z.

Infiniti Super G with 530-hp Twin-Turbo V-6 in Pipeline - Motor Trend
"Q. Another source was suggesting that both platforms and engines will be built by Mercedes. Is this true?

A. No. While one or two models will employ Mercedes technology, our main powertrain will be a Nissan developed direct injection engine based on the current VQ series engine block, but with a totally redesigned head unit. We will only use a four-cylinder diesel from Mercedes."

"Q. And what about that high performance model you mentioned?

A. I thought you might ask about that. We have an all-new engine in the pipeline that will only be built in Japan, as it requires specialized production methods only available here. It is a totally new 3.7-liter direct injection, twin-turbocharged V-6 that is being built for our new IPL (Infiniti Performance Line) range of high-performance vehicles. Targeting the likes of the C63 AMG and M3, it will generate upwards of 530 hp."

"Q. What about pricing? Won't this IPL be expensive?

A. The 530-hp IPL-spec G will probably be priced at around the same price as the GT-R if not a fraction more. Given that the basic C63 AMG costs (in Japan) around 10 million yen, that is where the IPL will be priced, I feel."

- The last one sums it up...we are NOT getting a twin charged engine for the Z unless they bump the price by $20k

Last edited by cavemancan; 12-28-2012 at 01:07 AM.
cavemancan is offline   Reply With Quote