Thread: The next gen Z!
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2012, 07:15 PM   #271 (permalink)
UNKNOWN_370
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: well over 130m.p.h.
UNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4a1mustang View Post
The problem with specs is you're being too specific.

Most people shop based on very broad segments. Mustang, 370Z, Camaro, Gen Coupe, etc. could all be thrown into the "Sports Car / Sporty Car" segment. So they'll get compared against one another as long as they are close in price.

Will they look at a Tundra? No, because it's not a "sports car / sporty car."

That's just the way the world works.
I dunno bout that bruh... I threw the Jeep wrangler unlimited in the mix when I bought the G37s. And I'm contemplating one again. My dilemma is stay in the sports arena or go off-road. Again, the Jeep wrangler is in the same price point as the Z. Of course I want to see what happens in the sports car world. But I have the JW unlimited in my sights as well.
The general concensus will generally look at cars in the same price point. AND I agree with that...

BUT... When you look at it... Any and every other reason outside of price is personal preference. Also, for most. A mustang buyer may call a Z a complete non competitor based on it being two seats. Whether its due to carrying people, storage space or needing back seats for that booming system. 6 out of 10buyers know they either want a 2 seater or 4 seater. Most don't cross-shop both. And when people need a 4 seater, but opt for the 2 seater for cool factor? That car will be traded for something else in a year or 2. You can throw in a 5.0 and do the same thing... But it pretty much ends there.
This is why imho... the true competition lies in power, suspension and technology within a certain price constraint. Give or take $10k, But this price shyt taken to another level makes things too unspecific...

For example a loaded v6 mustang and a base +sport Z while not true competitors either. Share enough. Tech specs to compare specs. So maybe we don't expect the stang to win. But the comparo would be. What percentage of performance can the stang v6 offer against a Z in spite of the price deficit. Now the Z may outperform at $37k vs the stang $32k. But I would say this. The stang creates x amount of grip, can do this that and the other. With a price deficit of $5k. You are getting a good deal. If you shell out another $5k, you can have the Z which offers XYZ. But @ 32k. The stang will offer you abc amenities vs a Z that will be bare. Make sense?

But throwing both on the same track would be dumb inho. So I wouldn't compare beyond that.
UNKNOWN_370 is offline   Reply With Quote