View Single Post
Old 12-22-2012, 05:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
G37Sam
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: RB'd G37
G37Sam has much to be proud ofG37Sam has much to be proud ofG37Sam has much to be proud ofG37Sam has much to be proud ofG37Sam has much to be proud ofG37Sam has much to be proud ofG37Sam has much to be proud ofG37Sam has much to be proud ofG37Sam has much to be proud of
Default Infiniti G37 RB swap, going all in!

So to keep it short, got bored of the VQ and its slush box, the engine's compression is too high to boost reliably without selling a kidney, and on top of all, the VVEL will forever be a bottle neck on this engine. Solution: RB swap

Picked up an RB30E bottom end, cast iron block, long stroke, with enough torque to move the G around, mated to an RB26 twin cam head (lowers the compression to 8.4:1) and an RB25 gearbox since I will be keeping her a RWD.

Update 24-11-2012:

RB26 head & RB30 block, waiting on head bolts, gaskets and cam belts

RB25 Pull Type gearbox

A snail crawling around in my living room...

RB26 Intake Manifold

RB26 Exhaust Manifold

VH45DE 90mm throttle body, mechanical throttle FTW!

Update: 26-11-2012

Gasket kit, head bolts and tensioner kit have arrived and have been dropped off at the shop. Aiming to start stripping down the G on Saturday!

The manifolds were just held against the head to measure clearances from wheel well, we may have to re-route the wastegate pipe.

Intake side should not be a problem

Update 28-11-2012:

The head has been sent for porting, polishing and final prep work before getting fitted back in. The block is getting painted and drilled for the tensioner.

In the meantime, this showed up at work today:

3.5" intercooler and an Oil Catch Can.

Update 03-12-2012:

Engine and head are finally ready! Car has been dropped off today to begin surgery. Here's what all the head covers and pulleys look like so far

Update 06-12-2012

Engine test fitting began and it is looking great so far!

The intake manifold inlet will he have to be slightly modified to fit the throttle body due to limited space

The turbo side however is a tight fit

The wastegate pipe is a little too close for comfort too, may have to be modified as well. No so sure yet. It is looking great so far!

Update 08-12-2012:

The following pictures will not be easy for the weak-hearted

Doesn't that shifter look like it just belongs there?

Well it wasn't work of magic though, the transmission will have to be pushed around 26mm away from the engine to get the shifter position where it belongs. A spacer will be made to sit between the engine and transmission housing. The flywheel will also have to be pushed by that same amount. You can see the tiny spacers currently being tested.

Since the transmission's cross member will be slightly relocated, some new holes had to be made

The crank case also wanted a share of the action, it wouldn't fit properly around the engine's cross member so it had to be modified. The mechanic suggested he will be test fitting an RB25 crank case as it may be easier to work with, let's see how that goes.

Transmission alignment in progress

The wastegate pipe continues to pester around, this time around the steering column. The mechanic says the engine is not 100% aligned yet, once done it will move further away from the steering column.

Update 10-12-2012:

Great news! The shop is done with the engine and transmission alignment and I couldn't be happier. The shifter now sits 100% OEM and the best part, I won't even have to modify my center console for it.

Shifter in Neutral

Shifter in Third

Shifter in Reverse! Look at that clearance!

Shifter in Fourth

Engine mounts have been spot welded today, everything is looking perfect. Tomorrow they'll get welded and finished to look 100% OEM

The Transmission spacer is also ready, 26mm thickness

Here it is with the OEM flywheel for your reference

Turbo fitment is still tight especially on the turbine side. That line will have to be relocated for sure.

And finally, the finalized engine position. Gotta love that RB tilt!

Update 13-12-2012:

Intercooler mounting in progress

Bumper bracket modification in progress

Intake manifold inlet customzed for better throttle body fitment

Still not sure what I'm going to be doing with this SOB.. would hammering the body out a few mm's hurt so much?

And finally some beauty shots by Docaam

Update 15-12-2012:

Throttle body install.. check

Intercooler install.. check

Bumper bracket fitment, triple check!

Looks like Santa's here early.. Spec stage 5 clutch and Aluminum Flywheel :JAMIN:

BC Racing Coils!

Update 17-12-2012:

More toys have come in!! Looks like I've been a very good boy this year

Last edited by G37Sam; 12-22-2012 at 05:34 AM.
G37Sam is offline   Reply With Quote