View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012, 05:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
SouthArk370Z
Premium Member

Drives: 2014 Challenger
SouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandingo View Post
I documented most of it here: Lets cut our stock intakes to pieces
That should come in very handy when I get to phase two. Great DIY. Repped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshirecat View Post
stock airbox intake temp is approx 10 degrees F hotter than ambient air temp while moving down the highway at speed.
I'm getting about 6°F difference between the ambient temp sensor and the IAT reading in cool weather (40-50°F) at highway speeds and 9-11°F when the outside temps rise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshirecat View Post
any OBD2 device ... will be able to give you the car's intake temp. Cross-reference that with the ambient air temp from the trip computer and you're good to go.
I have a ScanGaugeII that I use to monitor IAT, but, I think that comes from the MAFs (if I'm wrong, please correct me) and I'd prefer to get a reading closer to (or inside) the manifold. I may end up using IAT if getting a t/c in there is too difficult.

Thanks to all for the info and suggestions. Keep 'em coming. This is going a lot better than my "pause on start" thread.

I expect to have the spare parts in tomorrow or Monday. I am trying to track down a small t/c that can be inserted into the ducts or manifold (I have an industrial panel meter and an inverter already).

At present, my plan is to get some engine compartment temp measurements, do some baseline measurements of the air in the tubes/manifold, insulate, take more readings. If all is going well at that point, I'll try some homebrew CAI.

Thanks again for all the help.