View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012, 02:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
theDreamer
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370z
theDreamer has a reputation beyond reputetheDreamer has a reputation beyond reputetheDreamer has a reputation beyond reputetheDreamer has a reputation beyond reputetheDreamer has a reputation beyond reputetheDreamer has a reputation beyond reputetheDreamer has a reputation beyond reputetheDreamer has a reputation beyond reputetheDreamer has a reputation beyond reputetheDreamer has a reputation beyond reputetheDreamer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0velMan View Post
So in my experience (hundreds of hours of logging on the street, on the dyno, on the track, on the strip, autocrossing) the number 1 heat buildup causing factor is the radiator.

When the car is not in motion, the radiator heats the air behind the bumper cover up to 30-40 degrees over ambient.

With metal intakes, even if you have aggressive insulation (like me) it still ends up heating up the interior of the pipe, leading to eventual heat soak.

Plumbing the intake snorkels through the bumper to the outside air would be the only truly effective treatment for this phenomenon, by my reckoning.
This I am curious about, as being boosted I generate more heat both from the engine and other moving parts.
Intake piping coating:
-Silver heat shield
-Gold heat shield
-Black coating (like GTM has done on a few FI cars)

Are any of these good at separating the heat away from the piping and keeping it cool? Is one better than another?
theDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote