View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 10:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
bigaudiofanat
Car Audio Installer

Drives: 2012 Infiniti G37x
bigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to bigaudiofanat Send a message via Yahoo to bigaudiofanat Send a message via Skype™ to bigaudiofanat

Given that I actually had a customer come to me with this question, I think I can shed some light. If your looking for clarity and absolutely the best there are a few ways you can go. I will say that what your asking is not a straight forward question as it may seem.

Head unit

As you will actually get a lower quality signal from a double din do you mind having a single din?

Active
This is one way that you can go about your system. Going active simply mean you are using a sound processor and have the ability to tune the ever living crap out of your system. You do not use a crossover after amplification. There by alloying you to power each speaker through its own amplified channel on a amp. This is what my customer did in his Z. In the end because he was into more volume and wanted it louder and the tuning drove him mad I think if he had to do it all over again he would simply go passive. However the clarity in his music is amazing and plenty loud for anyone that gets in the car with him.

With there being so man different brands out there it is hard to choose really. If I were to recommend a top of the line system I would start with these brands.

Audison
Macintosh
Hertz
Focal
Zapco
Morel
Mosconi
Image Dynamics

Than it boils down further to what kind of sound do you care for and as well as if your going active. If you are going to take the time and fiberglass your tweeters to run on axis and or running active I recommend going with Focal KRX2 as the Utopia line is fantastic however their performance when I heard them is more suited for warmer classical and jazz rather than listening to rap, rock or others. Hertz has always been another favorite of mine so they also take first place as far as what to run. The Mile line is actually what a lot of customers run, including the one running active and they sound fantastic.

Amps
As reviews and opinions are a dime of dozen for amps I will try to keep this simple. You get what you pay for. If you buy a three thousand dollar set of speakers and run them off a sony amp. You are simply not going to get the best out of your speakers. Mosconi has always come up to the #1 spot as people go nuts for them because of their build and sound quality. I have ran these as well in a customers car and I love them. Very natural sounding as I have changed countless speakers in his car the amps have always stayed. I put Macintosh and focal in this high end category fallowed by audison.

So by saying if you could do a all out system it is not something just so simple anymore. Simply but there are a lot of variables that as a installer I have to consider.

Do you want active? (much more control however takes a long time to setup)

Do you mind modifying your cars appearance for optimal sound?
https://www.facebook.com/Dynamicmobileaudio/
bigaudiofanat is offline   Reply With Quote