Thread: The next gen Z!
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 12:09 PM   #84 (permalink)
cavemancan
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 09 370Z TourSport MT
cavemancan has a reputation beyond reputecavemancan has a reputation beyond reputecavemancan has a reputation beyond reputecavemancan has a reputation beyond reputecavemancan has a reputation beyond reputecavemancan has a reputation beyond reputecavemancan has a reputation beyond reputecavemancan has a reputation beyond reputecavemancan has a reputation beyond reputecavemancan has a reputation beyond reputecavemancan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNKNOWN_370 View Post

My vision goes like this...

A well engineered 2.4 i4 can pull 220-250hp NA, while in house turbo plumbing can bring it to 320-370hp stock, with room to expand out to 500bhp fairly inexpensively. On a 3000lb chassis, that would easily compete against a 2015 BRZ turbo, 2014 porsche cayman turbo, and the next iteration of the genesis coupe which I can see being a 380hp N/A engine with a 10 speed auto. lol
Throw in a close ratio much improved 6 speed transmission,8000rpm redline and bring out the first DCT with DRM as the newest high tech installation on the Z and we're good to go.

Lastly, a longer hood with our small engine pushed all the way to the back for better balanced, lower stance, lower roofline, maintain our width. Handling will increase, power will probably stay the same as now, torque will probably increase and we'd probably have a consistent 4.5 second car to 60mph and sub 13 quarters with the weight reduction. maintaining our width, reducing a little weight in the suspension and keeping our current tires widths... We should exceed the current handling statistics by a pretty big margin????

Sounds good to me.
I think your the only one that gets it in my opinion. Smaller displacement forced induction is the key for many reasons.

Engine Ideas:
- BMW still uses an inline 6 turbo making rediculous power and torque (See Series 1 M)...I would suggest Nissan consider a lighter weight inline 6 Turbo. This will not only lower the weight of the car (Perhaps 50 to 100 lbs) but it will fix the biggest issue the Z has...Weight distribution. Does it have to be inline...No but a smaller forced induced 6 would be ideal. Everyone likes big HP numbers but spinning tires does not equal performance. Power to weight ratio does.

- Let's not hate on the idea of a smaller engine (I have to admit I kinda do). Look at it this way...Hyandai did one thing right...It gave 2 options. A 4 cycl and a 6. Nissan should do the same to help bring there MPG numbers up.

Chasis Ideas:
- The technology for affordable light wieght exists. My old car (Mazda Rx8) weighed in north of 2900 lbs and it had 2 more seats, doors, and a bigger trunk (none of which are requirements for the Z). My point is the Z still has weight to shed and using all/partial aluminum frame is feasible. I would say they should focus on making materials in the front lighter.

Drivetrain:
- I wish for a rear mounted tranny like the Vettes and Porsches...mmmm...but reality sucks!

You dont have to do much...smaller dispacement v6 or i6 turbo and more use of Aluminum. Outcome will be a 3000 lbs car with 350 + HP with better handling. You want more torque...well a lighter car will feel like it has a crap tone more torque at the same HP/TQ numbers we have now. Throwing HP and TQ does not work if it is not engineered to fit the chasis.

Now wouldn't the idea of a modern 300Z TT with the specs mentioned above be nice...