View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 10:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
B&W_Evader
Track Member

Drives: slower than before
B&W_Evader has a reputation beyond reputeB&W_Evader has a reputation beyond reputeB&W_Evader has a reputation beyond reputeB&W_Evader has a reputation beyond reputeB&W_Evader has a reputation beyond reputeB&W_Evader has a reputation beyond reputeB&W_Evader has a reputation beyond reputeB&W_Evader has a reputation beyond reputeB&W_Evader has a reputation beyond reputeB&W_Evader has a reputation beyond reputeB&W_Evader has a reputation beyond repute
Default XP8 Brake Powder Caked on Wheels

I found that driving around in the rain with lots of brake powder on your wheels is a very bad thing. 2 washes ago I ran into this problem. Apparently there's some reaction with water that makes this stuff really stick to the paint. Last time I tried scrubbing the heck out of it with soap and water with limited success. I got most of it off but there were a lot of stuborn areas that just wouldn't come off. I hit it with my older can of McGuires synthetic wax. (The non abraisive stuff) and got a little more to come off. After about 20 minutes on it I gave up thinking, hey you can't even see it from 5 feet away. This weekend I washed the car again and decided to give it another go. Tried some more of the wax and it was coming off slowly but there where some chunks that just wouldn't budge. I decided to try my finger nail on it. Got some wet wax in the area to act as lubricant and disolver and was able to scrape the last bits off. Halleluiah, finally got that crap off and the wheels are looking like new again!

Lesson of the day, don't drive in the rain with brake powder caked wheels.