View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 11:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
scruffydog
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: with his eyes close
scruffydog has a reputation beyond reputescruffydog has a reputation beyond reputescruffydog has a reputation beyond reputescruffydog has a reputation beyond reputescruffydog has a reputation beyond reputescruffydog has a reputation beyond reputescruffydog has a reputation beyond reputescruffydog has a reputation beyond reputescruffydog has a reputation beyond reputescruffydog has a reputation beyond reputescruffydog has a reputation beyond repute

Options, options, options...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cossie1600 View Post
With the RE11, your annual tire expense is $1200 and you probably get one year on them.
Sounds like the less fun option but isn't gonna break my bank upfront. ~$1200/yr on tires only

Quote:
Originally Posted by cossie1600 View Post
With a set of 18s, your initial investment will be like $1200 for the 18" wheels, $1100 for the 18" racing tires (2 years) and $1000 for your daily driver tires (2 to 3 years).
Sounds like the option that suits me but I'm gonna have a hard time convincing my fiancee.
Racing Tires ~$600/yr + Street Tires ~$400/yr (assuming 2.5 yrs), but I have to fork out initially for another set of 18" rims.

I'll do some research on wheels first, hopefully I can find something decent used.

Cossie, I never owned a set of R Compound tires. In an ideal world, I'd love to track on R Compound, esp if that's the whole reason of owning another set of wheels so I could have a dedicated set of track tires & street tires.
But what do you think about tracking on Extreme Max Summer tires? Will it be more cost effective? I assume I'll get more track days with Extreme Max Summers over R Compound but I wonder if it'll be a more cost effective way? I ask this simply because I currently drive my car to the track. Thunderhill Raceway ~170 mi. one way, and Laguna Seca ~100 mi. one way and I don't have a truck/trailer.

Also, I have my camber set at -2.5 degree front and -1.8 rear.
0 toe front and factory setting rear. I would be concern I'd wear out the R Compound tire greatly just getting to the track.

Last edited by scruffydog; 12-10-2012 at 01:28 PM.
scruffydog is offline   Reply With Quote