View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 04:46 AM   #437 (permalink)
Baer383
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: My foot up your azz
Baer383 has a reputation beyond reputeBaer383 has a reputation beyond reputeBaer383 has a reputation beyond reputeBaer383 has a reputation beyond reputeBaer383 has a reputation beyond reputeBaer383 has a reputation beyond reputeBaer383 has a reputation beyond reputeBaer383 has a reputation beyond reputeBaer383 has a reputation beyond reputeBaer383 has a reputation beyond reputeBaer383 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by weslmac View Post
STEERING LOCK PROBLEM WITH US SPEC Z CAR IN JAPAN

OK, last night I go to get into my car and NOTHING happens I know nothing about this issue with the steering lock. Today I Google and locate all these issues you folks are having and assume this is what has happened to my 09 Z. So I left the car at the office and the next day still nothing. I searched Google and found that I should tap the lock to see if l unlocks so I tap the lock with the tire iron and the car started.

I immediately drive to CarRest (Nissan Car Dealer and repair shop in Zama, Japan) knowing I am in for a long afternoon trying to communicate as I know no Japanese's. My car is US spec and was unaware this was going to be such a big issue. I proceed to explain the situation to the gentleman as we use the internet to translate our conversation.

I am told that even though the Steering lock part number is the same they have no idea if the Japan spec part will work on the US spec car. So they proceed to contact the Nissan Factory to see what would need to be done to make these parts work. The diagnostic tool to reset the Security system is only for Japan spec cars not US.

So as I am trying to communicate a English speaking Japanese gentleman approaches and starts to assist in the conversation after some time I asked him if he worked at the dealership as he was wearing a Nissan uniform. He informed me that he was a production line diagnostic engineer from one of the Nissan factories.

To make a long story short I had him translate and asked if I could leave my car there until we could figure out how to fix this problem because I was not confident that I could get the car started again. Unfortunately CarRest said that was not an option so myself and the English speaking Japanese guy went outside so I could point to the fuse box as I wanted to disable the lock so that I could continue driving the car until a fix in found. I popped the hood of the car pointed to the fuse box and asked if I could just pull the steering lock fuse. He strongly advised me not to do this and crossed his arms telling me this is not an option. Obviously I have no idea why he advised me not to pull the fuse but he was very fast in his response and showed confidence in his knowledge so I did not question him any further on pulling the fuse.

Just wanted to share my story
He advised you not to pull the fuse b/c all dealers only fix cars by replacing parts and do not bother to look outside the box to solve problems I should know I worked at a dealer as a mech.

You should have asked him why and if he knew what he was talking about he would be able to explain himself so obviously he couldn't.

754 rwhp 747 rwtq

Last edited by Baer383; 12-06-2012 at 07:52 AM.
Baer383 is offline   Reply With Quote