View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 10:24 AM   #43 (permalink)
MXSG
Base Member

Drives: '12 Base+Sport 6MT
MXSG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by svmtbman View Post
So what are the consequences of turning the shaft when trying to remove the factory knob? I twisted mine about half way around thinking the knob was coming off only to find my pliers on the shaft were slipping. I finally got the knob off but ended up destroying it in the process, it would not budge using the strap method. I also managed to get a small cut in the shift boot in the process so I've ordered a new one from Redline. I put my Vodoo countersunk knob that I had from my S2000 but I may order a Nismo knob to have another option. Has anyone here tried the Password JDM knob?
I made about 20 rotations before I realized that my vice grips weren't holding. No damage. I managed to make a small tear my shift boot too, since the vice grips were accidentally clamped down on it. I haven't replaced it yet, although, I will one of these days.

I used the same strategy as most everyone here. Vice grips + heavy duty strap wrench. Stock knob survived. It was a lot more effort than it needed to be but the results were very much worth it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG1062.jpg (445.6 KB, 98 views)
MXSG is offline   Reply With Quote