View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 12:54 PM   #89 (permalink)
Dave N
Base Member

Drives: '12 PW 6M & 90 Z32TT
Dave N is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwest2300 View Post
Motorcyclists and tourists (that dont know where the hell they're going) are little more dangerous than a guy in a car dropped.. And I can assure you they're probably not driving like idiots with the roads as bad as they are.
While you have a valid point to a certain extent regarding motorcyclists and tourists (might as well throw in teen and elderly drivers too), the tire beads are begging to pop off the wheel given any provocation (pothole, quick turning manuever, etc....). It was bad enough when people stretched narrow tires on wide wheels without the silly camber, but they've upped the ante with the angle of the camber added in.

Not to mention that any tire engineer will likely tell you that the tires are not designed to be driven with the load on that portion of the sidewall over extended periods of time (other than hard cornering). It's asking for all kinds of bad and unpredictable things to happen. And I'd bet that the majority of drivers with their cars set up like this are not experienced enough to properly handle the car when a tire pops off the wheel. I also wonder how often they check their tires for excessive wear to be sure they aren't worn down to the core.

However, you're right, it's their car and they can do what they want - I'm not arguing against that point. But when they are putting innocent drivers in their vicinity at risk, it needs to be called out for what it really is - stupid. When I encounter one of these cars on the freeway, I give them a wide berth and move ahead while mentally pointing and laughing a them.

Last edited by Dave N; 12-04-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Dave N is offline   Reply With Quote