View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 06:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
phunk
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370
phunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond repute

I sustain over 130 regularly. I do not have a large oil cooler, and the one that I do have is behind the intercooler. My oil temps can hit 220-230 if I hold it up there for a while on nights that arent very cool weather. At the higher speeds, the airflow increases a lot. I am not sure to what ratio that offsets the higher sustained RPM, but it definitely helps. Up to 175-180 I have not had my oil temps go out of control, but the longest I have sustained that type of speed in the 370z is just for a minute or two.

As far as oil cooling goes, I think you just want to get on the larger end of the typical spectrum. People that are road racing will probably tax their oil temp just as much if not more, as they are all over the place on RPM and have less airflow due to lower speeds, and they are making max power more frequently as they constantly have to slow down then reaccelerate. I dont think that sustaining the high speeds is going to really hit you hard on oil temps compared to a road racer.

I cant recall the size of my oil cooler, but you can just see the top of it behind the intercooler on the driver side (LHD). It wasnt a kit, I just bought the parts.

Last edited by phunk; 12-03-2012 at 06:55 PM.
phunk is offline   Reply With Quote