View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 01:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cmike2780
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: slowwww
Cmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond repute

Week 3 since upgrading to Windows 8 and so far it's been more of a headache than anything else. Here are a few problems that I ran across.

Windows Refresh: It's great if they actually explained in more detail what it actually does. It says it doesn't delete files for example, it deletes every single program you've ever installed. There is no way to undo this once its done because of course its not set to automatically create a restore point. You also don't get to select an option to preserve programs you might actually want to keep. Even device drivers are deleted. My internet wireless connection dropped to dial up speed and I just realized it might be a driver issue. I thought it was my network at first since this was installed around the time of the hurricane when the entire network was affected.

Multi-tasking: It's kind of terrible actually. Most of the time you're not exactly sure what programs are running. I have an older machine with an 4gig RAM limit. It wasn't a big deal before, but it seems like Windows 8 is a memory hog. I can't edit large RAW image files in Lightroom 4 without running out of memory. It wasn't a problem before since I always knew exactly what programs were still active.

Apps: Cool concept, but oversimplified or overcomplicated. Some apps are pretty terrible.

UI: Again, cool concept, but it's kind of annoying unless you have a touchscreen.

Multi-Monitor support: Better than Windows 7, but nothing special.

Cmike2780 is offline   Reply With Quote