View Single Post
Old 09-18-2009, 04:39 PM   #16 (permalink)
kannibul
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370z Touring/Sport
kannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z1Performance View Post
The justification to spend the time (and money) in R&D is just not there. Nowadays, this industry as a whole is slow. Couple that to a car that is still new to market, and does not have tons of units sold yet (especialyl relative to the previous model) and it becomes pretty clear that things will be this way for quite some time.

I don't think you will ever see cams sold for the car at all - simply far too costly to develop. Nissan has so far 0 competition plans with the new car, which means blanks will not be offered for those who have the means to grind their own cam. Forging your own blanks is simply far too cost prohibitive, as there is a miniscule market for those who would buy them.

Throttle body spacers are certainly easy to do, but utterly useless (zero performance gain, their only advantage would be for forced induction guys looking for a nice and easy way to install a boost gauge). Intake manifold development is extremely time consuming and costly, and given the lack of fully programmable ecu's for the car, would not offer any real gain for any developer.

The previous Z's never needed a torque dampener, neither do the new ones. Civic Si, different story - the factory mounts are very soft on that car (we have one, so I know that car pretty well too
On the cam's issue - I saw a video recently where the VVEL can be adjusted outside of some spec's by adjusting each valve. There's an adjustment screw that changes the max lift or something along those lines.

Skip to 1:35 of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyubJV4siss

The whole thing is interesting, but, 1:35 talks about the adjustment I mentioned. Perhaps in the future there might be something there, but, I for one, will not be touching that!

Last edited by kannibul; 09-18-2009 at 04:42 PM.
kannibul is offline   Reply With Quote