View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 01:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
newyen27
Base Member

Drives: 11 370z BS Sports M6
newyen27 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
Well, they definitely passed you some bum scoop on that one. A glaze is NOT a polish. A glaze is a product that is used to fill in paint damage without removing any clear coat (which is what a polish would do). In order to repair the damage in your clear coat, you have to shave it down to the point where no damage resides. The amount that you shave it down depends on how deep the damage is. With the PC, you are NOT going to be shaving down any significant amount of clear coat at any time and that's why it takes so long to repair stuff with a PC. However, that's also what makes the PC so safe for a novice.

By using a glaze, the only thing you're doing is masking the damage. It is still there, and will reveal itself after you've washed the car enough times. Detailers, body shops and dealerships will use a glaze to make your car look perfect when you come to pick it up. However, after a month of washing, all the scratches will eventually show back up. That's why you never see me use a glaze in any of my videos. I want the damage removed, not masked.
Silly question, Junkman... Based on how you described polishes, is it possible to polish your car so many times that you essentially "sand" all of your clearcoat away? Also, if I use a polish like Liquid Glass LG-100 Ultimate, do I still need to wax my car?

Stino, your car looks amazing.