View Single Post
Old 09-18-2009, 12:53 PM   #20 (permalink)
rednek01
Enthusiast Member

Drives: Mustang GT
rednek01 has a reputation beyond reputerednek01 has a reputation beyond reputerednek01 has a reputation beyond reputerednek01 has a reputation beyond reputerednek01 has a reputation beyond reputerednek01 has a reputation beyond reputerednek01 has a reputation beyond reputerednek01 has a reputation beyond reputerednek01 has a reputation beyond reputerednek01 has a reputation beyond reputerednek01 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianUSMC View Post
There have been a lot of individual threads popping up with bits of info related to Lessons Learned and Tips/Advice with regard to driving/owning the Z. I figure it might be better served to have a single consolidated thread to put out this good advice!

1. Kannibul - (After car wash) - Let the soap and other crap leave the tires before gassing it a bit with the TRS turned off - lol...
2. Mike - I am having a real bitch getting the front [eibach] springs compressed enough to reinstall them. I wound up breaking my spring compressor, so tomorrow I am off to find a suspension shop with a press.
3. Imag - Spin cycles and floor mats don't mix.
4. RCZ - No replacement for a little practice. Get a good feel for the clutch and for how many revs you can give it for the perfect launch. Also remember you dont go on green, you go on the last yellow.
5. Josh@Stillen - Do not do a burnout on your street tires.. slicks can benefit from the additional heat.. just completely avoid the burnout box.. don't get anything on your tires..
6. Fly_yellow – (at the strip) The clutch pedal literally stuck to the floor. I had to stick my toe under it to pry it off the floor. It smelled like it burned the clutch up pretty bad, but the car seems to be running fine now.
7. ..

r/
Brian

+ + +

Correction on Tip number 5 you do want to spin the tires a bit even if they are street tires to clean them off, however we are talking a 2-5 second burn out not even enough to create smoke!

If you do use the water box, BACK INTO IT if you drive through it with street tires on the front they can some times retain drops of water which will be dropped in front of your back wheels while launching and going down the track!