View Single Post
Old 11-23-2012, 05:15 PM   #824 (permalink)
gurneyeagle
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '18 Audi TT RS
gurneyeagle has a reputation beyond reputegurneyeagle has a reputation beyond reputegurneyeagle has a reputation beyond reputegurneyeagle has a reputation beyond reputegurneyeagle has a reputation beyond reputegurneyeagle has a reputation beyond reputegurneyeagle has a reputation beyond reputegurneyeagle has a reputation beyond reputegurneyeagle has a reputation beyond reputegurneyeagle has a reputation beyond reputegurneyeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chknhawk View Post
To get a clean edge you have to spray thick and quick and remove the tape before it dries. That is the only way I have seen that will work. If you let it dry it will take the path of least resistance.... Do it's own thing. Hope that helps.

J

However, that is counter to the way all the Dipyour car.com videos show you. Fonzi is pretty adamant that you start off with a light base coat and then apply heavier successive coats.

What he DOESN'T ever show is a situation where he is painting a flat, contiguous area where a sharp edge is desired. Emblems, rims, and door handles all have specific edges relative to the areas around them. The Dip gets into the gaps, isn't as thick as the part being painted, and that helps you get a sharp edge.

It's really pretty easy to simply score the edge with an exacto knife. You don't have to push hard enough to damage the underlying paint. Mine came out perfectly.

As far as durability, I went on a cruise three days after painting my front end. The car was plastered with bugs, and they came right off with no damage to the Dip.
Waiting on the Z35! SOLD - 2011 Gun Metallic Touring 7AT w Sports Pkg & Nav, Nismo Bumper and Rims, RC Grille, RC Brake Ducts, H&R Spacers, Painted Door Hdls, GTR Start Button, Nav By-Pass, EVO R Fog Light, CF Ducktail, CF Interior Trim
gurneyeagle is offline   Reply With Quote