View Single Post
Old 11-23-2012, 01:56 PM   #31 (permalink)
bvl
Enthusiast Member

Drives: MB Roadster (sold)
bvl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEpointfive0 View Post
Oh, and if we think the factory's recommendation for oil is BS, why do we bother following their recommendation for 5w30? (This next comment is thick, but it's only for "argument's" sake) But why not run 20w50, less prone to burning! Or straight 50? Lol... Or if you're worried about drag, run 0w20!

Now, some may run 10w30 which is OK as long as your battery can crank through the pain of 5w vs 10w, LOL, and some may run 5w40 with no adverse affects... YET...

I really like Mobil 1, run it in all my other cars... Not this car though... Just personal preference based on application
To your weight point, most cars still run over a range fine and its buried in the manual. Fuel efficiency will go down a tad with heavier weight oils of course hence the push for 0/20 amongst the 4 banger fuel sippers of the world.

M-1, while blasted on BITOG.com for meh results by oil snobs, has been a solid product for a very long time. Reformulated? Sure a few times. But 350K+ combined miles on 3 cars I have owned in the last 17 and it did perfectly fine by me (including a dozen or so UOA's). Sure group 4/5 oils are very nice and if I really wanted to run 10K+ OCI's I would spend more for a PAO based oil. But I don't....and 6mo/7500 mile while in warranty means the 'cheap stuff' works just fine.

I am using the PU in the Z based off some good UOA's I have seen and to try something new. Honestly M1 0/40 Euro is one of the most well rounded blends out there as well and I would consider using that as well...and simplify my garage oil storage system (zee german car we recently got takes it).

Based on how I drive, I can use every MPG aide I can get...so 5/30 stays in the Z.

- b
bvl is offline   Reply With Quote