View Single Post
Old 11-23-2012, 01:19 PM   #27 (permalink)
DEpointfive0
Premium Member Bitches

Drives: a lot
DEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvl View Post
It is right in you manual: ester is a suggestion not a requirement.

DEpointfive0: have you had UOA's performed? With your stated background you are likely more well informed then 95%+ of non-chem folks regarding the blends and requirements of the lube Curious how its performing for you. Few UOAs I have seen don't do too well with a few measurements.

If it was an excellent base stock and performed well I have no problem spending a few more washingtons on the oil change, but to date I have not seen it being special. Other group IV/V base stocks from the likes of Redline etc...appear to perform much better.

Not trying to debate the better oil: just see how yours is performing and how you personally feel. I am awaiting my first report from my 5/30 PU sampling

- b
I'm waiting on it actually. I sent in a virgin sample as well even though someone on the forum has already

I did run a sample at work myself (yes, we have a GC machine for anyone thinking I'm talking out of my ***), but since I don't have parameters set up, all I pretty much saw is that my oil is oil and had no gasoline or water in it, LOL
So I am anxious about Blackstone's results

Honestly, I'm not sure if Nissan's Ester oil has a better base stock than others like Redline or Motul, because its a 50/50 whether Nissan's oil is synthetic or a blend. I am 99% sure it IS a grade IV oil, and that's good enough for me! (And hey, we used Dino oil for...... 50+ years without problems, a blend should be OK)

At the end of the day, YES, Nissan IS sticking it to us with their own oil, I know that, that's why even the dealershits have to buy them by the quart.
BUT, accepting that fact, don't we think that they are formulating this oil to our cars, and they designed it because of our cars???
That's my opinion on it, ONLY the 2009 Maxima and 370Z HAD a requirement for Ester Oil at one point, it wasn't a requirement for long, but it was there... And still dealers out there will give you an Ester oil change with your factory maintainence agreement ONLY if you have the 2009, like mine/me, lol

Another blatantly obvious example of it being more tailor made is that when you run a normal synthetic you might get valve chatter, while its "not bad" for the car, I don't want that sound, it's not supposed to run or sound like that IMO, lol

Just my 2, or maybe 4 or 6 cents now with all that info/text, lol

Last edited by DEpointfive0; 11-23-2012 at 01:21 PM.
DEpointfive0 is offline   Reply With Quote