View Single Post
Old 01-15-2009, 06:27 PM   #30 (permalink)
Sid
Base Member

Drives: jeep grnd cheerokee
Sid is on a distinguished road
Smile Jeepersnape, don't do it

Hi to all the Z-lovers!!
If you all don't mind, I'll wax nostalgic for a bit. Reading these forums takes me back to 1970-71, as a 2-striper stationed in 'Nam, reading car mags and falling in love with something called a 240-Z. Returning to the states, I tried to buy one..couldn't swing it. Dealers were loading up the cars with all options and they were over $5000 out the door (for a $3500 car..remember, it was 1971! Making less than $400 a month, I "settled" for a new Dodge Challenger (still not so bad) but couldn't get the "Z" out of my mind.
Long story short, I finally got my "Z" in '75, a new 280-Z, which I kept for 2 years and traded in on a new '77 280. Sold her when our daughter was born in '79. My wife and I have been fortunate enough to have several new cars since then, but now, at 60, I feel a little of that old excitement
and expectation creeping in, as I peruse this forum. I understand completely the 'gotta have it' feeling as you look at the pix, read the reviews, and also read these posts from those who hve been fortunate enough to just get theirs, have it on order, or just want to drool.
To Jeepersnate: You've been given some good advice in these posts from our Z-lovin' friends. Don't trade at this time. Keep the Max (it's a great car). wait until you can comfortably afford it. 72 mos @ $869 a month is $62K+..that's a lot of bread for a $30K car. It sounds like you're young yet, believe me, you've got time. Let the market cool off (look what happened to the GT-R's). Were I you, I'd wait at least 2 years before I traded in, or sold it off myself. I know, a lot easier to say than to actually do, but your chance will come. You'll get your Z, just as I finally got mine. Just wait it out. As for me? I figure I have 1 more new car left in me, and this drive does look pretty sweet; but I think I'll wait a few months, when the hype cools down, and then I'll take a little shopping trip. It'll be like 1975 again, and I'll be walking into the Datsun dealer (oop's!) NISSAN dealer, and there she'll be..Life is sweet...........
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote