View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 09:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Coon-azz
Track Member

Drives: '12 370z Sport DD
Coon-azz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1adesofcha0s View Post
I bought my Z during a snow storm and drove it home from PA to MD with no problem. As long as you have the proper tires and drive slowly/carefully you will be ok. Of course with a sports car like the Z, ground clearance will be an issue if we get a lot of snow accumulation on the roads.
Agreed! Before my Z I had a Pontiac Solstice GXP (lowered) and ran it all year. Like any car that low, if the snow is over the hood, it just plows through the snow, but I was running the IceGuards snow tires in the winter and had no issues at all. In the snow, one trick, especially on hills, might be to start off in 2nd gear to get goiong. Also you have to keep in mind how snow tires perform and how the temps effect them. Once I put the snow tires on, I dont' typically drive over 70MPH and I stay out of the left lanes when possible. I also give myself extra room between cars. But thats me. I learned to drive in the snow in the Mid-west where 5 or 6 inches a day is not uncommon. The best advice...get out into an open parking lot and test the tires, the car and see how it performs in such conditions. Kind of like being on a wet track. Can also be a lot of fun. Just be careful.

Oh. another trip I've done to keep the ice/snow from building up in the rims is to clean and wax them after you put them away for the SUMMER. This way,when you pull them out for the Winter, they are all set. My last rims would collect snow and throw the cars ballance off really bad. After Waxing them the next year; almost nothing.

Last edited by Coon-azz; 11-22-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Coon-azz is offline   Reply With Quote