View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 09:20 AM   #22 (permalink)
ZBro16
Enthusiast Member

Drives: A Z.
ZBro16 will become famous soon enoughZBro16 will become famous soon enough

I'll go ahead and elaborate on my situation so you guys don't think I'm being a dumb kid contemplating an impulse buy.

My Z is not currently my daily, and should I buy a GT-R, it will also not be a DD. I have a Mazda 3 wagon for my daily so I can carry my drums and hockey gear. It is still financed.

Basically, I have a fixed monthly cap on car expenses. I have a separate savings for any surprise maintenance costs, etc. (Which I occasionally dip into for modifications, hence the recent addition of an Ark exhaust to my Z). I have studied maintenance, et all, on the GT-R and given I drive it how I drive my Z, the maintenance will fit into my budget for that.

My two year plan for a GT-R would start the day my Z is sold. The money from the payment of the Z would be pushed into accelerating payoff of the Mazda. In two years or less, the only monthly payments I would have would be my house and its related expenses (utilities, internet, HOA). No other debt. That is granted my annual income is unchanged from my current situation.

The money isn't going to be a problem as long as my preparation for the financial responsibility of having a GT-R will not impact my lifestyle, retirement investments, emergency savings, etc. I can do that in two years.

My fear is going through all of this and being disappointed in some way. Is it THAT much more fun than my Z? The only way I will feel comfortable doing this is to offload my Z. I'm not sure I want to do that. I'm more of the mindset that I would like to pay it off, recondition it, and bring it to car shows in 20-30 years and blow people's minds like the all-original 240z owners do around here.

I drove my Z for the first time in two weeks today and it honestly gets me to the point of "I don't need a GT-R to have my fun... the Z is my car." I kind of just wanted to hear from anyone that went from one to the other and what they think.
ZBro16 is offline   Reply With Quote