View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 01:07 PM   #816 (permalink)
gurneyeagle
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '18 Audi TT RS
gurneyeagle has a reputation beyond reputegurneyeagle has a reputation beyond reputegurneyeagle has a reputation beyond reputegurneyeagle has a reputation beyond reputegurneyeagle has a reputation beyond reputegurneyeagle has a reputation beyond reputegurneyeagle has a reputation beyond reputegurneyeagle has a reputation beyond reputegurneyeagle has a reputation beyond reputegurneyeagle has a reputation beyond reputegurneyeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1adesofcha0s View Post
You're supposed to peel of the tape while the plasti dip is still wet to get a clean edge with tape. Spray one heavy coat and peel off the tape before it dries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTurnon View Post
Thanks for the compliments!
If you pause my video that i put on youtube of my walk-around at 2:07 you will notice that there is a scrape on the front. I made a thread about it too. Someone hit me on a bicycle. So the pedal scrape went from the bumper and scraped all the way on the fang area...
To make a long story short, the day after the accident, I didn't tape off the fang area and just sprayed a couple light coats on the fang to cover up the scrape...that is why the corners in the video look bad. If you saw my car today, the edges are all perfect.

Am I missing something here, or just over-analyzing the whole thing?
You can wait in between coats to let it all dry, but when your going to pull the tape, you will want to put a wet coat on top of the area that you will be pulling the tape off of, so that they plasti-dip becomes wet again. The stuff under the wet coat will also become wet so thats why it leaves a perfect edge. It confused me at first too, i kept messing up!

Hope this helps![/QUOTE]

Thank you, thank you both! Finally, someone has explained this.

So basically, the last coat of PlastiDip will re-moisten the previous dry coat just enough for the tape to pull away cleanily. THAT"S the part I could never figure out.

Nick - I wasn't trying to be condescending in anyway pointing out the jagged edge, the car looks great.
Waiting on the Z35! SOLD - 2011 Gun Metallic Touring 7AT w Sports Pkg & Nav, Nismo Bumper and Rims, RC Grille, RC Brake Ducts, H&R Spacers, Painted Door Hdls, GTR Start Button, Nav By-Pass, EVO R Fog Light, CF Ducktail, CF Interior Trim
gurneyeagle is offline   Reply With Quote