View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 11:16 AM   #49 (permalink)
NYBladeZ
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Lotus Exige S
NYBladeZ has a spectacular aura aboutNYBladeZ has a spectacular aura about

Common problem for a lot of N/A guys. I had long tube headers along with all the other bolt-on's minus the gears and pulleys. I didn't want pulleys bc there is a possibility albeit a remote one that you could set off your harmonic balancer and such risk wasn't work ~7whp. In hindsight gears would have been a great mod, I had 4.10's on my bolt-on 2004 Mustang GT and it was great, you will run at a slightly higher rpm while highway cruising but not enough to offset the gains in acceleration. Gears don't add power, they just get you into the meat of the powerband faster.

The reality is that the VQ37 is very well tuned from factory, after exhaust mods there just isn't much left to do. VVEL limitations have been discussed a million times over but really only the F/I guys stand to see real gains from it. That in itself is a problem because the potential market is very very small.

Go boost, it won't be cheap but if done right I'm sure it can be reliable. If that doesn't work for you sell and get a new platform to work with, parting out is a pain though.