View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 07:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
DEpointfive0
Premium Member Bitches

Drives: a lot
DEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bldg636 View Post
Quick question for all my much more experienced fellow members:

I'm looking to make my first mod to my '11z, being a Fast Intentions non-res exhaust. I'm planning to go forced induction with a year (maybe a little longer, depending on funds), and was wondering if this exhaust will be compatible with a twin turbo system, or if i'll need to change the exhaust when i make the forced induction switch. I'd rather not have to buy a second exhaust if I don't have to, and would like to get one that is compatible whether my car is NA or FI. Could someone advise me on this? Is there any other bolt ons that I need to make sure I get a certain type for forced induction compatibility (i.e. intakes, etc.) Thanks in advance for the help, and my apologies ahead of time if this is an ignorant question that I should already know the answer to.

Thanks
Ross
Depends if you're going turbo or supercharged.

If you're going turbo, have Tony at FI make you a 3" exhaust, while you're N/A you'll "make less power" than if you had a 2.5" diameter exhaust.
It depends if you believe a N/A needs back pressure or not.
Generally, the more you open the pipes whether it's intake or exhaust you lose a bit of low end torque and HP and gain it back on the top end.

If you go turbo don't buy cats, because I believe most turbo kits are text pipe or straight pipe set ups, I could be wrong, don't quote me.
But for supercharger you CAN use HFCs, you just have to realize you're putting more stress on them, they will get MUCH hotter and will probably break at one point causing a world of other problems...

Stillen does do Supercharger installs with their 2.5" piped standard exhaust, but I'd feel more comfortable with a 3" if I were you

Don't buy an intake, Motordyne intake manifold, underdrive OR lightweight pulley, and don't buy headers, they'll all have to be taken off and not reused in any way (you COULD use the Motordyne, but if you're going FI, the $500 you spend isn't worth the minimal HP it MIGHT give once you're hooked up. Same with headers if you go supercharged, the money and hassle isn't worth the HP you MIGHT gain)
DEpointfive0 is offline   Reply With Quote