Thread: Kill Switch
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 11:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
SouthArk370Z
Premium Member

Drives: 2014 Challenger
SouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0velMan View Post
Everything.

Not for drag racing, not even required by any sanctioning body I'm associated with, I just want it as a safety measure.
The only effective way I know to kill everything is a battery disconnect.

For remote operation, you can use a fairly large single-pole relay and a conveniently mounted switch. Electrically, placing the relay next to the battery would work best, but I don't suggest placing anything that arcs in the battery compartment if you are using an unsealed battery (eg, OEM). You will need to get a relay with rated DC breaking amps greater than what the load is - I have no idea what full load is on a 370Z. To keep the size of the relay down, do not run starter power through the relay. You might want to also consider leaving the ECM powered up. Relay contact voltage rating should be at least 12VDC (or greater (I suggest >=25VDC) - higher is "better", but usually comes at the cost of increased physical size).

The easy way to kill just the engine is to kill the fuel pump - a small relay or manual switch should be easy to install.

I _think_ it would take a 6-pole relay to kill just the ignition (one pole per coil), but there may be a way to interrupt a signal to the ECM.